Welcome to the Harvard Club of Turkey
We are committed to providing our members with enjoyable social, educational and cultural events in Istanbul and in Turkey. Our Club is expanding rapidly these days, with ever more alumni joining us for social and academic events.
Welcome to the Harvard Club of Turkey (HCT) website. If you are a significant Harvard affiliate both undergraduate and graduate schools and resident in Turkey, new in town or just passing through we hope you will be joining our activities (see Officers page). Join us today! or at our next event! Our membership includes graduates from all Harvard University schools.
The board of Harvard Club of Turkey is busy planning activities for the year. We hope that more than one of these events will excite your interest and attendance. Please be sure to continually check back to see our events calendar and follow our invitation mails. Your inputs for additional programs are not only welcome but actively solicited. We would love to hear from current and future members regarding event suggestions and other news or comments you would like to share!
Harvard Club of Turkey membership helps drive the programming as well as building the resources the club needs to carry out those programs and other Club activities. We hope you will plan to join (or re-join) the Club. It is also a great way to stay in touch with the University and other local fellow alumni.
We look forward to, hopefully, seeing you at an upcoming club event.
EARTHQUAKE UPDATES and HOW TO DONATE
Harvard Club of Turkey has put together an email that lists some of the trusted charities that accept donation worldwide. Feel free to share the list below with your friends and family, who want to donate.
Harvard Club of Turkey
Turkey is witnessing the largest natural disaster in its modern history: a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit southeastern Turkey in the early hours of 16 February, affecting around 13.5 million people in the region. A second earthquake registering 7.5 in magnitude followed just 9 hours later.
The official death toll has passed 20,000 as of Friday night and The Economist reported that “180,000 people or more may be trapped under the rubble, nearly all of them dead."
If you would like to support Turkey with your donations, below are some trusted charities that accept donations worldwide:
- Turkish Philanthropy Funds (provides emergency relief & supports front-line workers, registered in the U.S. & tax-exempt in the U.S.)
- The Mozaik Foundation (provides emergency relief, registered in the U.K.)
- AKUT (voluntary non-governmental search & rescue organization registered in Turkey)
- Support to Life (provides emergency relief & focuses on rebuilding efforts, registered in Turkey)
- Ahbap Association (grassroots organization providing emergency relief registered in Turkey)
- The EBRD Community Initiative (committed to match donations on a 1:1 basis, initiated by a group of employees of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development)
- AÇEV (Mother Child Education Foundation implements early childhood, parenting, and women’s empowerment programs for vulnerable groups, registered in Turkey)